Friday, June 6, 2008

Predicting New Teacher Questions

As new hires are introduced to your school district or cooperative this summer they will have a numerous questions for their supervisor or mentor. The questions will range from where to locate supplies to how do I use the phones. Below is a list of questions that new teachers should have the answers to as they complete their first week or induction programs. This would be a good resource to include in your induction packets and verify that supervisors and mentors have the answers to these questions ahead of time.

Policies and Procedures for the Classroom
  • What are the hours I have access to my classroom?
  • What school rules and policies should I present to students?
  • Is there a homework hotline or website I need to keep current?
  • What resources are made available for students and parents on the internet?
Policies and Procedures for the School
  • What is the procedure for students arrive at school?
  • How do students leave at the end of the school day?
  • Is there any kind of special event or assembly during the 1st week?
  • What paperwork is required of me for the first day of school, attendance, and lunch?
  • How are parents notified of suspension or detention and what are the policies for make-up work?
  • What is the procedure for sending my students to the library and restroom?
  • What is the bell or class schedule?
Obtaining Materials
  • What is the procedure for requesting furniture items for my classroom (e.g. tables, chairs)?
  • What is the procedure for requesting technology for my classroom?
  • What is the procedure for obtaining consumable supplies (e.g. paper, printer ink, pencils, etc.)
  • What is the procedure for obtaining textbooks and checking them out to students?
  • What is the procedure for making copies of materials?
  • What is the procedure for accessing student files?
Gaining Assistance
  • Are classroom aides available and what is the procedure for obtaining their assistance?
  • Who can help me with the technology in my classroom?
  • How do I get assistance from the office for emergencies, illness or discipline problems?
  • When should I consult with the principal?
  • How do I refer students to the counselor and school nurse?
  • What kinds of resources are available if I have a student who I believe has a learning or behavior problem?
These questions have been modified from The Scottsdale School District New Teacher Induction Program at http://www.susd.org/district/ProfessionalDevelopment/newteacher/mentorquestions.cfm

No comments: